Copyrights @ Journal 2014 - Designed By Templateism - SEO Plugin by MyBloggerLab

Tuesday 2 August 2016

, ,

Crazy For Alice - Alex Dunn Review

Share
(Book Cover Source: www.goodreads.com)

Hello Readers...

Before starting with the review, I would like to express my gratitude to Alex Dunn for providing a copy of this book for the review purpose. I was skeptical after reading the synopsis, still I decided to give it a try and I was happy that I did.

Here is a brief synopsis of the book:

"Donnie Darko meets Pleasantville in this dark urban fantasy about sixteen year old Ben Howard. When Ben accidentally kills his father and is sectioned after a failed suicide attempt, he escapes the guilt by seeking solace deep within the recesses of his won mind.

Waking in a strange ethereal black and white world, where most people exist as living states, Ben leaps from New York skyscrapers into African Jungles without fear of injury, severed from his emotions, until he meets and falls in love with Alice. But, no sooner does he settle into this strange, new exustence, he's traumatically catapulted bcak to the brutal reality he left behind.


Nobody believes he's spent the last six months in a Gray World. Not his neurotic mother, his policeman brother Gavin, or his friends Mitch and Wendy, and certainly not Dr. McKenzie who's threatening to give him even more pills. They all think he's crazy, and why wouldn't they when he's been in some strange coma locked up in a mental asylum?"


I must say, the story of this book remind me the story of one of my favorite movie "Inception" directed by "Christopher Nolan". Unlike Inception, the story of this book is based only in two worlds.

Coming to the technicalities of the book, the entire concept of the book set in the modern times seems very surreal to me. The way the story is based in two world makes this book interesting and keeps the readers engaging. The writing of this book is simply exceptional. Since I haven't read any of Alex's previous work, I was skeptical as to how her writing would be, but I must say my skepticism faded after reading first few chapters. I must say Alex Dunn have written this novel exceptionally well. The best thing about her writing is the way she moves between the two worlds while narrating the story. The way she moved the story, it was like a roller-coaster journey for me, full of thrill and excitement.

Coming to individual sections, the book seems pretty balanced to me. The beginning is bang on as it can be, immediately grabbing the attention of the reader and taking him straight towards the story. The beginning of this book is definitely the best beginning of any book which I have read lately. I immediately felt connected with the characters and the story right from the beginning. KUDOS to Alex Dunn for that. Same goes with the second half of the book as well. However, I personally feel the first half of the book was slightly better as compared to the second half. Also, Alex Dunn managed to keep this book to just around 180-190 pages making this book, a quick read.

The characters feel genuine and I found it very difficult to keep this book down, forcing me to catch up my sleep during the classes though. Definitely, this is among the great books which I have read lately.

So, if ask to rate it, I will give this book 4.5 out of 5 stars. Definitely a must read and I will surely be recommending this book to all the non-habitual readers, as this book will generate keen interest regarding the novels among all my non-habitual readers. So if you wanna grab a copy of this book, I'll leave link to amazon down below:

India: Crazy For Alice by Alex Dunn

Outside India: Crazy For Alice by Alex Dunn

So, this is what I feel after reading this book. Do let me know in the comment section what do you feel about the book. Guys if you like this review, hit the like button below and if you don't, do vote it down and mention the reason in the comment section below as it will help me to get better and do SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get all the reviews right into your mail box. To know more about Alex Dunn and her recent work you can visit her website: www.alexdunnauthor.com/

So until next time, this is me Sushant signing off. You guys have a great day.

CIAO.



0 comments:

Post a Comment