Copyrights @ Journal 2014 - Designed By Templateism - SEO Plugin by MyBloggerLab

Sunday 28 August 2016

,

Author Interview - Belinda Austin

Share
(Book Cover Source: www.tastybooktours.com)
Hello Readers...

Today we have a very brilliant writer, Belinda Austin here with us to talk about her new book as well as her own life. This is going to be a really long interview, so grab a cup of tea, sit back and enjoy.

Me: Welcome Belinda, thanks for taking out time for talking to us...lets start this interview by knowing you in person and your current release "Defective"?

Belinda: Thank you Sushant, its nice to be here and sharing with readers of your blog.

Me: If I am not wrong, you write under the penned name "Belinda Austin". Can you tell us why you & also many other authors prefer to write under pen name?

Belinda: I believe most authors write under pen names to separate different genres and not confuse their fans. I write Historical Fiction and Fantasy under "Belinda Vasquez Garcia". Under the pen name "Belinda Austin", I write Thrillers and Suspense. Finally, I write Science Fiction under the pen name "B.Austin". The name Austin was my mother's maiden name.

Me: How did you become involved with the subject or the theme of this book?

Belinda: I do not want to give away the ending of Defective so forgive me for speaking cryptically. Regarding the ending of the book what Dante and his friends discover are happening to Outcasts, about five years ago I had the idea and was really interested in the subject. When I have an idea, I always know it is going to be a book because it instantly begins writing itself, the plot, some of the characters, the ending, the dialogue, etc. I spent a week outlining the books in the series and wrote several files of notes. I then put the series on my list to eventually write, which I am now doing. I am currently writing "5 Chances", Book 2 of the series, which is on pre-order.

Me: Why did you choose to write a dystopia unlike your previous release "Dishonor Thy Wife"? Also if given a chance will you prefer to live in a dystopian world?

Belinda: I do have another Psychological Thriller to write, which I planned several years ago and I do enjoy the genre. However, the Outcast dystopian series has been on the burner for several years and I felt passionate at this time of writing the series from start to finish.

Belinda: I would not like to be an Outcast in the dystopian world I have created. However, yes, it would be great to live in a "perfect" world where there is only one government and the entire world lives in peace and no threat of war. The economics would have to be equal, unlike the money-based class system in Outcast, which really is the way earth is today in most countries. You know, the 1% owning most everything.

Me:  Yes it will really be nice to live in perfect world with peace and harmony all around. Being a author, how long have you been writing?

Belinda: I began writing fiction 18 years ago as a hobby at the time. I was working as a software engineer/web developer/computer programmer and have always been an avid reader. Writing fiction quickly became my first love.

Me: What were your goals and intentions with this book and how well do you feel you have achieved them?

Belinda: The book is a good start of a long series to introduce the readers to the world of the Outcast in 2083 and the technologies, which we are currently developing and are really happening today. I feel I succeeded in creating a Dystopian/Utopian/Science Fiction dichotomy, which is very original. Defective, also, puts the characters i a mystery they must still solve and a dangerous situation. The CommonWealth of Earth is filled with secrets.

Me: Can you share some stories about people or memorable incidents which came across while researching and writing this book?

Belinda: I was stunned to discover the technology of 3D printing and how it is going to affect our lives for the better, medically, architecturally and even cooking. I am still doing research on a very viable future, which is why the books are only set 67 years in the future. Being a tekkie, I am getting my kicks from researching various technologies used in the books though I will stretch a bit if my imagination takes over. The book is fiction. However, the technologies in the books are pretty much reality based, which is why I like Dystopia because it is a future on our planet and therefore, more relatable and fun to imagine.

Me: What are the most difficult part as an author you felt while writing this book and what did you enjoy most about writing this  book?

Belinda: Knowing where to begin the book was the most difficult because Defective is my first book in the Science Fiction genre. I thought everyone would like action right away and then an early reviewer complained that I just thrust him into the world without describing it enough. Therefore, I changed the book to pace the action better. What I enjoyed most was creating the Outcast World.

Me: Many people who are passionate about writing, have certain things which inspires them to follow their passion. What inspires you to writing?

Belinda: I just love to create stories and entertain myself. I get excited seeing the story unfold and the characters evolve. I am pretty much a workaholic when it comes to writing books and work 7 days a week at it.

Me: As you said, you love reading and creating stories. Where did your love for books/reading/story-telling come from?

Belinda: We had no books at my house growing up since we had not money. When I was seven, a neighbor loaned me Tom Sawyer and I read it cover to cover 10 times that summer and fell in love with the books that could transport me to other worlds.

Me: Facing many hardships, how did you get to be where you are in your life today?

Belinda: A lot of hard work. My father abandoned me when I was 11 years old and my mother died when I was 16. I still managed to go to the college and earn a Bachelor's degree in Applied Mathematics.

Me: Who are some of your favorite authors that you feel were influential in your work? What impact did they have on you writing?

Belinda: Gaston Leroux who wrote Phantom of the Opera motivated me to begin writing when the book turned out to be a beautiful tragic love story unlike the Hollywood horror version. Anne Rice's witch books made me want to write fantasy. I loved Interview with the Vampire and The Vampire Lestat, I felt I could do better with witches because in Albuquerque, where I grew up, we have real witches.

Me: When did you first consider yourself a writer?

Belinda: Finally, after publishing five books (I currently have 10 out) I felt like a writer. Even though I had won some book awards, I felt like a phony. It was just a personal thing. I now feel comfortable thinking of myself as a writer and telling people.

Me: Most of the people in their childhood have a certain dream which they want to achieve. As a child what did you want to be when you grew up?

Belinda: I just wanted a house with carpet. As a teenager, I used to think a Psychologist or Tree Surgeon because I like trees.

Me: So, are you a full-time or part-time writer? How does that affect your writing?

Belinda: I write full-time. When I worked, I used to still write about 10 hours a week during the evenings and weekends. I was very much a perfectionist and rewrote books that were very good yet never satisfied me. Given all the hours I have put in, writing is like breathing/

Me: What process did you go through to get your books published?

Belinda: I am an Indie author. I have the computer skills to create my own paperbacks, ebooks, and cover, etc. I like the freedom independence gives me. Plus, I only have to answer to my own schedule.

Me: In the present scenario where number of books are being released everyday. According to you, what makes a book stand out from the other books?

Belinda: Originality, I get tired of seeing the same stories told over and over again.

Me: What are the challenges you faced while writing this book and how do you deal with the writer's block?

Belinda: The challenge was giving enough information to hurl the readers into the second book. I never have writer's block. I tend to be verbose and my ideas sometimes explode into many books, like the Outcast series.

Me: Tell us something about your future projects and what should we expect from the second book in the Outcast series?

Belinda: I have another Dystopian series planned much different than Outcast, and a Young Adult series, which is let's say different. Regarding the second book in the Outcast series, 5 Chances, the story is told in the viewpoint of Ivory, the Smuggler from book 1. More secrets will be learned, more of the future would be revealed, and more about the villains the FRE (Fenatic Rule Enforcers). The Outcasts, will find out more about themselves and the hurdles they face. The ending of the book will leave the Outcast in the dilemma they need to solve in Book 3.

Me: Anything else you'd like to share with us?

Belinda: Yes, I have two book trailers out of the first two books of the Outcast series.

Trailer of Defective - Book 1 in Outcast series:



Trailer of 5 Chances - Book 2 in Outcast series:


Me: Belinda thanks for taking out your precious time and sharing all those details of your books and your personal life with us. It was great having you here and looking forward for your next release "5 Chances".

If you guys haven't checked the review's of Belinda's previous book, here is the direct link to the post.

Review of Dishonor Thy Wife

Review of Defective (Book #1 Outcast)

So guys, that was the interview with Belinda Austin. If you guys like the post do hit the like button and share it among your friends. If you want me doing more such author interviews do let me know in the comments section below and do SUBSCRIBE to the blog to get the new post's right into your mail box. You can also follow us both on our twitter handle @magicprose and @SawantSushant96.

So until next time, this is me Sushant Sawant signing off, You guys have a great day.

CIAO.



0 comments:

Post a Comment